Button weeds growing in soybean farm field

Share This Article

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

Glyphosate shortages

Byron Hendrix, Senior Account Manager, CCA
Byron Hendrix, CCA, Senior Account Manager

Chemical inputs for 2022 continue to remain tight moving into a season that seems to be on our front doorstep with every day that passes.  As I write this, I am left thinking of all the articles in farm journals read since the fall saying that farmers better have a plan A, B, and even C.  This could include a change of herbicide plans no matter what seed technology you have decided to plant this season due to shortages in certain herbicides like Glyphosate and Glufosinate.

Weeds grow on their own time and sometimes the weather can delay our applications.  If the application is delayed, weeds can grow beyond the rate at which we were intending to spray those chemistries which leads to higher use rates. 

The issue is as we increase these rates, we may not have enough herbicide to cover those higher use rate applications and therefore forcing us to spray at our originally intended use rate. With weeds being larger, we need to maximize the use of adjuvants to optimize pesticide efficacy in our application.

Although fully-loaded glyphosate such as Roundup PowerMax® 3 or glufosinate such as Liberty® have built-in adjuvants in the system already, those are not optimized for all individual circumstances. And if we are forced to lower the use rate, to stretch available material, the surfactant rate will be lower as well.  When this occurs, we have a harder time getting the intended active ingredient into the plant. 

If we are forced to utilize lower rates of herbicides due to allocations or shortages, we can utilize some of the best tank-mix adjuvants on the market today helping to get that active ingredient into the larger weed. 

More Insights

That mindset is also supported by some great material I have listened to from the Council of Producers and Distributors of AgroTechnology or CPDA for short.  One of the best webinars on this topic is ‘Optimizing Glyphosate Performance in 2022’.  You can watch it below, it is well worth your time. 

Play Video about webinar talking about glyphosate performance in 2022

Byron Hendrix has been involved with production agriculture since 2000 and is a Certified Crop Advisor since 2003, working key roles in the ag retail, fertilizer, seed, and chemical industry.

Trademarking your brand

Trademarking helps protect the investment and image of your branded products and company name. Read more about the “ins and outs” of trademarking and why it is important.

Read More »
cutting edge perspective - Joe Gednalske CPDA adjuvant education

Cutting-edge Perspectives: Joe Gednalske

Watch the interview with Joe Gednalske, Director of Education – Adjuvant Development at the CPDA and Bob Herzfeld, Product Manager at Exacto below and listen to their perspective on industry developments.

US Crop Update – May 3, 2022

With the cool and wet weather planting has been delayed in many areas. The winter wheat has its lowest crop condition ratings in 20 years. Read to learn more about the current state of the US Crop and the forecast for May 2022.

Production ag is the passion of Baryan Young in the cutting edge perspective Photo by Tom Fisk from Pexels

Cutting-edge Perspectives: Dr. Bryan Young

Watch the interview with Dr. Bryan Young, Professor of Weed Science, Purdue University and Dr. Glen Obear, Director of Research, Development, and Innovation at Exacto below and listen to the latest information about what Bryan is working on.

Facing supply shortages and exponentially higher glyphosate prices in 2022, finding alternatives for spring burndown applications is becoming relevant. For no-till farms, effective burndown applications are key to a good start to the season.

Burndown Alternatives to Glyphosate

Follow Exacto, Inc.

Featured Product

Solutions Offered

Contract Research & Product Development

Exacto has strong research and product development capabilities build on 40 years of experience. We offer customized product development services to meet your specific pesticide, fertilizer, biostimulant, biopesticide, adjuvant, or seed treatment needs.

Private Label Service

Our full-service specialty chemical development and commercialization program provides access to the latest technologies and the technical and marketing support needed to establish a successful custom branded product program, including in-house label design and printing capabilities.

Regulatory

Monitoring the regulations that affect your day to day operations, Exacto’s regulatory compliance staff provides a wealth of information for both our associates and partners for expert advice to navigate the complicated world of local, state, federal, and international rules and regulations. 

Research, Development & Innovation

Exacto’s Research, Development, and Innovation (RD&I) team consist of seasoned scientists with expertise in chemistry, biology, and agronomy.  Their areas of expertise lay in product development and testing, raw material qualification, analytical method development, and manufacturing support.